Monday, May 3, 2021






Take an Early Morning Drive with Me


There's a certain softness to it, the morning light. Depending on how early it is, the sun is really just a supporting player. The main role is played by the earth. Oh Sunny will take over in importance soon enough, but before She looks down at us with a harsh glare, Momma Earth stretches gently, giving us a nudge to get moving.

I've always been a morning person, my body wakes up and is ready to go. This puts me at odds with my love of all things requiring my eyes to remain open late into the night. It's a battle I have been losing as I get older. One of the few pluses of a pandemic is there haven't been any reasons to be out late looking for fun and a touch of trouble. I am curious if I'll be able to get my game back once the music scene returns to something near normal. sigh. But I digress.

Back to mornings.

Slightly foggy morns are the best. Not dangerous fog, just a sheer curtain where everything looks airbrushed and peaceful. The radio station needs to be something mellow. Whether it's Richie Havens singing "Here Comes The Sun" or James Taylor with Carolina on his mind, it always seems something appropriate comes on to make me savor the moment. 

Pull over. Take a minute to breathe, maybe take a photo. Then as the light changes ever so slightly, it's time to get back in gear and drive.

It's not a day for a road trip, only an hour drive. By the time I get to my destination, the road will be filled with cars, the sun will be giving me the side-eye, and the morning will have lost her magic. 

But it was long enough to hear Bill Withers telling me it's gonna be a "Lovely Day." 

Yep.

Thanks for riding shotgun. It's been a long, long time since I put anything down in this space. A couple of years actually. Been feeling for a bit that it's time to come back. 




6 comments:

  1. This was so lovely, thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too am a morning person who likes staying up late (though I, on the other hand, am a huge introvert so I don't even know what I'm staying up for).

    Have I ever told you that your words make for as lovely a picture as your camera? Because they do.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vinny, that was just a lovely thing to say. I am humbled and grateful <3

      Delete