Monday, June 3, 2013

And Then She Asked: Did You Hear What Michael Douglas Said?

Today I needed to take my mother to run a quick errand, no big deal. Very uneventful, very mundane... until.

Photo by David Azia
Until she decided to talk to me about Michael Douglas getting throat cancer from oral sex. OK, let's back up. My mother is 83 years old. My mother never talked to me about sex when I was a kid, today she's all chatty about not just any kind of sex, but yes, a little cunnilingus. Awkward, ya think much?

Just for the record, my mother does not care whether or not Mr. Douglas was dining at the Y. Her problem was with whether he got it from his wife, and if he did... why would he tell the world about it. And if he didn't get it from his wife... well that's another story isn't it?

I did my best to keep the conversation as close to the basics as I could, and used the advice of my bestie who always says "less is best." I figured she had her mind made up as to what she was gonna say, and all I could think of was the line from Animal House when John Belushi is ranting about the Germans bombing Pearl Harbor


Yep, forget it, she was rolling.

The quarter mile ride home was like being in the Indy 500, without the speed. It took forever and we went around in circles.

So I just wanted to send a quick thank you to Michael Douglas for the opportunity to spend a few minutes having an in-depth talk with my mother on a topic which rarely makes it into an everyday conversation with friends.

But as usual, Mom was right. Mr Douglas, why would you discuss this in public? Something about this just smells a little ...fishy.

.


7 comments:

  1. All I know is his comments probably got a lot of guys opening wide with a flashlight looking down their throat in the mirror. But to have that conversation initiated by your mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that visual. I just hope she got that out of her system and we can go back to talking about the same things we talk about everyday, three times a day. Nothing. Thanks for stopping by.

      Delete
  2. Ya know, I thought the same thing your mom did... I mean, was it his wife? Was it someone else? I need answers. However, I'm glad he said something because, no joke, I never knew. As someone who likes to partake in this sort of activity? I deserve to know.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah... well it's probably too late for you. What I've been hearing is that every one of us who "partakes in that sort of activity" probably has the virus hiding inside us. It just hardy ever shows its ugly head. Nothing we can do about it now.

      Delete
  3. omg Kat - I had the same conversation with my husband. Same progression. Why'd he have to make that public? Did he get it from Zeta Jones? I'll be she doesn't appreciate that. Wait, he's Michael Douglas, he got around before he was married. Does it take that long to show up in the form of cancer? How long have they been married? Blah Blah Blah. But with my husband. Lordy, you had the pleasure of discussing that with your mom. I do believe Mr. Douglas owes you big time for that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seriously, was he drunk during this interview? Who would bring up such a thing so that everyone looks at your wife with the side eye. Thankfully, I think after 2 conversations with my mother about it, it may be out of her system. God, I hope so.

      Delete
  4. oy,dont even know where to begin.would have loved to be fly in car.maybe not.squirm factor on extreme high

    ReplyDelete