Saturday, July 6, 2013

I See The Light

"But the woman is so tired... 
So the woman disappears... 


Come in out of the darkness... "  

I've always felt there are lyrics to fit whatever is going on in your life. Your mood, your relationship, your dreams... somewhere a songwriter has already felt the same way and written down your feelings. The lyrics above are from Stevie Nicks' "Bella Donna." No other words could have captured my life more perfectly over the past two days.

Apparently these old bones ain't quite what they used to be... literally. Over the last two years my bone density reading has shown a 13% bone loss. Not good. So at my last doctor visit she advised I take a twice a year shot of one of the new drugs to combat osteoporosis. I read up on the side effects, etc. and wasn't thrilled. I also wasn't excited about a drug having a time-release of six months. So I opted for one of the once-a-week pills. It also had a lot of possible side effects, let's face it most drugs do, but I was willing to give it a try.

Now I  had a month of samples for over a month. I wanted to take it on a Wednesday, as it's a day I'm usually home. Closer to the weekend and there's a chance I might be at the weekend house and that means I need to remember another thing to take with me. Trust me, I don't need to remember any more things.

So, I kept forgetting to take it. Or I would remember after I had already taken my regular dose of Calcium in the morning, which is a no-no with this drug. I finally remembered this Wednesday, and the whole day I was fine. At some point either Wednesday night or Thursday morning, I began having abdominal pain. It didn't much register other than I thought I might be coming down with a stomach virus and I was a little pissed off with it being the Fourth of July and all that.

Thursday morning the pain continued, not all the time, just enough to let me know it was there. I did some heavy-duty cleaning and started to feel kind of crappy. With the temperature over 90, even with air conditioning, I chalked it up to just being exhausted. Then the joint and muscle pain started. I had pain in every joint in my hand, my feet, my back, my arms felt like lead weights. At this point, the brain kicked in and said "seriously girl, what the fuck?" Let me look up the side effects of this pill, and not just skim over it like I did the first time.

Oh yeah, out of the first ten or so side effects, I had seven. For forty-eight hours, I was a slug. My mind was mush, I was napping throughout the day and everything hurt. I haven't been able to write... anything. Over at Sprocket Ink where I post twice a week, and where we live on snark, I couldn't come up with anything, ANYTHING as a response to a comment on our FB page. All I could hope for was that the side effects wouldn't last the full week.

Waking up this morning, I knew I felt better. Still have the abdominal pain, but the extreme fatigue and the joint/muscle pain is almost gone. Time to "come in out of the darkness."

Monday morning will bring a call to my doctor to see if there is a substiture to this specific drug. I'm hoping milk shakes are a viable alternative, though I won't hold my breath.

Today though, it will be time to do some online reading and catch up on some of the writing of which I am hopelessly behind. Physical work, I think that will have to wait. And getting back to my thoughts about song lyrics, this day will see me doing what Glenn Frey and Jackson Brown once wrote... "Take it Easy."

.

2 comments:

  1. the rest of crew has your back,"Take it easy".hope its just a reaction

    ReplyDelete