Saturday, June 16, 2012

It's Been a "Bear" of a Day

I gotta tell you, this day is starting off strangely. Maybe it has something to do with the black cat that ran in front of my car, as we drove into the lake community last night...

Woke up at 4:45, not unusual. After a quick minute with Mother Nature, went back to bed...not really expecting to fall back to sleep. But I did, and it was a 'you're gonna have a wild dream'  sleep.

At 6:15 I woke up again. The dream still vivid. An extremely large black bear was in my yard. This bear did not look like the normal black bear, which are normally chubby with fat necks. The dream bear was thinner with a very long neck...and really big.  And aggressive. Normally pretty docile, most bears will run away before they will confront you...unless there are baby bears involved. Well the dream bear appeared to be one large, pissed off male.

He looked at the firewood rack and knocked over the full cord. Oh man, somebody is gonna have to re-stack that wood and that someone won't be me. He then tangled with a wild turkey who had the bad luck of coming across one highly agitated Yogi. As I watched with my dog, she began to bark...instantly getting the bears attention. Instead of running away at the sound of the barking dog, the dream bear gave me the evil eye and started to walk in my direction. Shit scared...I woke up.

Time to walk the dog.

Now, the lake community has lots of wildlife: deer, hawks, giant woodpeckers, snapping turtles, wild turkeys and bears. We see the bears from time to time, but not on a daily basis. A few times during the summer is about it. Usually they are just bouncing through the yard or crossing the road. We've had one scary encounter with a momma bear and her two cubs...a story for another day

Normally when walking the dog early in the morning, I actively look for bears who are on their way home after a full night of foraging. This morning, I totally missed the small bear who was snacking on some household trash he had dragged into the woods. The dog however, did not.  As the dog barked wildly, the bear ran farther into the woods. The encounter was a little unnerving, but luckily this bear wanted no part of me or my crazy dog.

Was it a coincidence that 10 minutes after dreaming about a bear, I have a close encounter with one? Or, am I starting to acquire a new psychic ability? I can bearly contain my excitement.

If I could only dream of six numbers
...maybe tonight.

.

1 comment:

  1. Could it have anything to do with the animal crackers from the previous post? Hmmm ...

    ReplyDelete