Friday, October 12, 2012

On The Soapbox: This Is Heath Care?

Well, I said on the Music blog that I wasn't going to rant about the Vice-Presidential debate and I'm not. I've got bigger fish to fry. My only comment on the debate is Martha Raddatz...that's how you do it son. Do you realize she has spent more time in war zones than all the candidates combined? Wouldn't you like to crawl into her head and find out what she thinks?

But anyway, today I need to write a few words about something I saw they other day. A quote from Romney about health care in this country. To be fair, I don't think any plan out there right now will work. The system is way too broken. Do I have an answer, I do not. What I do have is common sense and this ain't it.

“We don’t have a setting across this country where if you don’t have insurance, we just say to you, ‘Tough luck, you’re going to die when you have your heart attack,’  ”

Well, yes that is true. If you pull up to the emergency room turning a whiter shade of pale and grabbing your chest...ding, ding, you go to the front of the line.

“No, you go to the hospital, you get treated, you get care, and it’s paid for, either by charity, the government or by the hospital. We don’t have people that become ill, who die in their apartment because they don’t have insurance.”

We don’t have people that become ill, who die in their apartment because they don’t have insurance? Have you never heard of the word Cancer? Or MS, ALS, Diabetes, Alzheimer's or a host of other diseases where you die a slow death. Yes, you are going to die, just not quick enough for a trip to the emergency room.

How many people cannot afford to buy their daily medications, never mind afford the long term care needed for a chronic or terminal disease?  No, apparently it is better to wait until things become critical, then dial 911.

When a self-employed individual in this country needs to spend nearly $1000 a month for decent...not great health coverage, obviously something needs to be done. I know, I've been there and it is not easy. But having a candidate who really believes that emergency room medicine is the way we should go, well that's just crazy and scary.

Anybody out there got any ideas that actually make sense?

.


5 comments:

  1. I do not have any ideas. I think the issue of previous condition coverage is still a problem, I think I share your confusion with Romney's words, and I think things will not get much better any time soon with regard to healthcare in the US. I worry about this with regards to my family and friends and really everyone. Are other countries having this much trouble with it and we're just not hearing about it? Seems like the US can't be the only one, but I fear we are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No new ideas but here's a crazy story. In MA, the courts ruled that a male prisoner can have a sex change operation that the state pays for because not having the surgery is causing him mental health issues. Are you kiddin' me? Mrs B. you can't have the cancer treatment without paying us first and the state has no funds to assist you. BUT they can pay for a sex change operation for a convicted felon. WTF?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe everyone needs to sue for cancer treatment on grounds of mental health. The priorities we have in this country are just insane.

      Delete
  3. I'm "one of those people" among my social construct, where I live, in the Goergia suburbs. I'm a liberal Christian.

    Jesus taught one thing above all others (other than believing in him) and that is - love everyone, including the sick, the weak, the outcast, and the poor.

    Those on the right of the political spectrum have co-opted religion and bastardized what Jesus Christ taught. Universal health, especially for the young, old, poor, and displaced, is the right thing to do...period.

    *off soap box*

    ReplyDelete
  4. being one of those people who spend 1000 a month on health ins(goes up every yr by 10+%)why not try european formula?having lived there for many yrs&seeing system they have,why not try it here?oh yeah forgot-ins companies will never let that happen.too much money at stake

    ReplyDelete