Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Tears For A Stranger

Today my heart breaks and my soul cries...for a man I never met, and for the dog he loved more than life itself.

In a suicide note, New Yorker Nick Santino wrote "Today I betrayed my best friend and put down my best friend.  Rocco trusted me and I failed him.  He didn't deserve this."

Rocco was Nick's pit bull and rather than give him up, he put him down.  After giving away all of his dogs possessions and food, Nick then took his own life.  His condo had adopted a regulation prohibiting ownership of pit bulls and even though Rocco was "grandfathered in," accounts say he was constantly being harassed about the dog.

Nick apparently, did not have the easiest of lives...it seems that Rocco was his life.  Of course there are always more reasons than what is obvious, when someone takes their life...but as a dog owner, I can understand the bond, especially when he is all you have.

Rocco has been cremated, Nick will be as well.  Their ashes will be buried together.  In the end Nick will get in death what he wanted so much in life...to be with his best friend.

If there are no dogs in heaven, I don't want to go.


No comments:

Post a Comment